WEDOS Internet, a.s. is currently one of the fastest growing IT companies in the Czech Republic with an international reach. Our main focus is hosting services and internet domain registration. We are number one in hosting and we are the fastest growing company on the Czech market in domain registration. We are gradually gaining ground in other areas as well.
We are also developing technologies that can change the world as we know it. We were the first company in the world to build a data center (WEDOS DC2), where all servers are cooled in mineral oil and we use most of the waste heat efficiently – we transfer it to the city to heat the city pool. For this data center, we have also applied for the prestigious TIER IV Operational Sustainability certification from the Uptime Institute, which was achieved by only about 20 data centers out of more than 1,700 certified worldwide. We are currently in the phase of assessing construction and technical documentation.
Our Data Centers
WEDOS DC1 – AIR, ‘The Bunker’ (Hluboká nad Vltavou)
Our first data center was built from a former civil defense shelter. It is cast from reinforced concrete and is partly underground. The servers are air-cooled and the waste heat is used to heat our offices. Emphasis is placed on maximum efficiency, economy, automation and physical security. Thanks to numerous modifications, it is one of the most economical data centers in the Czech Republic.
- A server room for about 5 thousand servers.
- 4 office spaces with a capacity of 40 employees, 1 training room serving as a laboratory, 4 storage spaces, 1 workshop.
- 3x 100 Gbps connectivity via two different suppliers and three independent routes completely without concurrence, internal 40 Gbps connectivity, for demanding customers we have servers with 4x 20 Gbps connectivity.
- Cooling by highly efficient free-cooling of our own design and air conditioning on extremely hot days.
- Two separate power branches (under the ceiling, under the floor), each branch has its own UPS and motor generator (each able to tighten non-stop the entire DC1, including all infrastructure).
- ISO 27001 (information security management system), ISO 14001 (environmental management system), ISO 9001 (quality management system).
WEDOS DC2 – OIL, ‘Podskalí’ (Hluboká nad Vltavou)
We have completed the second “oil” data center (WEDOS DC2) and a test run is taking place in it. There are high-load racks in the server room, on which the oil baths lie. Each tray can hold two HPE Moonshot server enclosures (each with 45 physical servers) developed by Hewlett Packard Enterprise for demanding cloud solutions. The individual oil pans are redundantly connected to a water cooling circuit that dissipates heat from the oil. Waste heat is used for heating the city swimming pool, as well as for heating our parking lot, heating the building, neighboring buildings, etc.
We built the data center ourselves with the utmost care. It is built of cast concrete with a thickness of 30 to 110 cm and is also partially underground, the server room itself is separated by a 1 tonne safe door. We prepared the entire project ourselves, including the world’s unique oil cooling. Due to the fact that the entire data center is extremely economical thanks to the cooling of servers in an oil bath and at the same time we take electricity from a hydroelectric power plant, it is clearly the most ecological data center in the Czech Republic.
- Server room with a capacity of 10,800 physical servers.
- Modern office space for the comfortable work of up to 40 employees, a multimedia training room, storage and preparation space.
- Two own optical paths connecting DC1 and DC2. One leading through the gardens of the Hluboká nad Vltavou state castle and the other around the hill. DC2 can thus use 3x 100 Gbps connectivity from DC1 and vice versa.
- The whole data center is connected 3x 100 Gbps (3 independent routes, different providers) …
- Unique cooling of servers in oil pans of our design.
- The water circuit dissipates heat to the nearby swimming pool. We also use it to heat the data center building and parking lot.
- Two completely separate and independent power branches (under the ceiling, under the floor), each branch has UPS and motor generators (each able to tighten non-stop the entire DC2, including all infrastructure).
- ISO 27001 (information security management system), ISO 14001 (environmental management system), ISO 9001 (quality management system)
- TIER IV Operational Sustainability from Uptime Institute (in the certification process stage)
We already have land and project documentation prepared for our third data center and are currently in the phase of obtaining a building permit. It will be an area of 11,000 m2. In total, the project envisages two server buildings, two administrative buildings and a storage hall. The buildings are almost 37 meters long, 13.5 meters wide and, with the exception of the warehouse, are two-storey. Everything will be made of reinforced concrete. The office buildings are designed so that up to 170 people can work comfortably in each. In buildings for servers, we count on the use of both floors as separate server rooms. In total, about 2x 400 square meters, in each building, will be available for the server rooms.
We Run One of the Busiest DDoS Protections
Since 2014, when our data center became the target of large-scale professional DDoS attacks, we have been intensively working on the development of protection against various types of cyber attacks. Our DDoS protection is one of the best in the Czech Republic. We have plenty of experience and opportunities to constantly improve. We currently protect almost one-fifth of the Czech Internet against DDoS attacks.
In addition to DDoS protection, we develop and actively use IPS / IDS protection, which is active protection of websites directly against automated and manual hacker attacks. Our protection uses Deep Packet Inspection technology, thanks to which we can read and analyze Internet traffic in real time. Thanks to the evaluation of data from more than 100,000 domains and machine learning, our IPS / IDS protection can stop even completely new types of attacks.
We are also currently developing our own CDN, focusing primarily on protection.